Shamik Das


Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Earthlings, prepare to be humoured!

"Thank you! I'll come again ..."    "I am Apu Nahasapeemapetilon and I am an American!"

INSPIRED by Martin Kelner's brilliant piece in The Guardian on Monday – in which he compared a few of the words used in Gordon Brown's Bournemouth oration to those spoken by Bigweld in the film Robots – I recalled some similar acts of plagiarism conducted by the PM's predecessor.

Remember that famous speech he delivered about this time last year? You know, the final, last ever set-piece sermon to the Labour faithful? Ah, yes, that one, you say.

Full of emotion, full of tears for all those watching, inside the Conference hall and out, capped off with the immortal lines "in the years to come, wherever I am, whatever I do, I'm with you".

Not too dissimilar to the tearful goodbye from Mr and Mrs Nahasapeemapetilon when wishing their son Apu well as he set off to America. "Wherever you go and whatever you do, we’ll be proud of you, son" springs to mind …

"Well, you know, forward not back and all that!"    "We must move forward, not backward!"

And then there's the episode in which Kang and Kodos assume the bodies of Bill Clinton and Bob Dole in a bid to take over the world, with Kodos – in the guise of Clin-ton – whipping up the crowd at a campaign rally in Springfield.

"My fellow Americans," said the alien, "as a young boy, I dreamed of being a baseball, but tonight I say, we must move forward, not backward, upward not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom."

Forward not back, Tony's slogan at the 2005 election.

Spot a theme? Gordon's cronies may beg to differ, but surely it can’t be all bad to have Matt Groening et al influencing our politicians' agendas???

Moleman for Justice Secretary, anyone?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home